Monday 1 November 2010

Susan Hiller - Residue (Left Over)

This is another recent eBay purchase, and one I am very happy with indeed. I have been a fan of Susan Hiller's 'At the Freud Museum' installation work since first seeing it 10 or so years ago.
I first came across this limited edition multiple a few years ago on Bookworks website, but never thought I would be able to buy one as it was in an edition of only 10 and long sold out. I have no idea what the original selling price was - if anyone knows I would much appreciate the information.
Residue (left over) resembles an archaeological collection box, inside of which is a corsage made of painted silk. The corsage was produced in Germany in the occupied Soviet Zone circa 1947 at a time when factory production was carefully monitored. With an original numbered label, reading 'made in Germany USSR occupied', this work has a haunting resonance. A quotation from Walter Benjamin is printed on the inside of the lid of the box
Residue (left over) is produced as an adjunct to Susan Hiller's installation 'At the Freud Museum', commissioned by Book Works for 'The Reading Room'. It is a response to Sigmund Freud's astonishing collection of art and antiquities, his library and his consulting room at his last home, in Hampstead, London.



2 comments:

  1. Hi -
    I am a freelance journalist and student wishing to include some images of work by Susan Hiller alongside an article I am writing about her for artSpace - link:
    http://lsa-artists.co.uk/
    and wondered if you would be able to grant me permission to use the topmost one on this blogpost?
    My blog can be found at strumpetmusings.blogspot.com or my email is sarah.hastelow91@googlemail.com
    it would be great to hear back about this!
    Thanks
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete